Tuesday, October 10, 2006

wwjd - what would janna do?

with an afternoon in asheville?

A friend of ours recently noted, with some amazement, that my husband and I really share very few interests. We like different books, different movies, different restaurants, and have remarkably different ideas about fun ways to spend free time. If it were up to S., my husband, we would read books about economic growth in China in the 80s, then go watch an action movie which would be judged on the number of explosions: more explosions = better movie. We would then find a grungey, tiny ethnic restaurant in a bad neighborhood and eat really spicy but otherwise tasteless food, preferably served on paper plates with plastic silverware. At this meal we would discuss such fascinating topics as the entrance of Bulgaria into the European Union and the effect this will have on the euro, the dollar, and both the Japanese and American stock markets. I'm not kidding about this.

Of course the perfect day for him would be spent outdoors getting very dirty and eating ramen noodles. This can be challenging for me, as our friend continually noted on a recent 7 mile canoe trip. He pointed out that there was not one time that he looked over at our canoe and saw me paddling. My theory was that I agreed to come along, which was a big step for me. Plus, I don't think I really would be much help paddling a canoe. Everyone seemed to find this amusing. i was being serious.

My perfect day is about as far away from dirt, politics, and canoes as you can get. Not that I don't enjoy hiking or being outside. I do. I just want to go for about 10 minutes and then shower, put on high heels, and have a nice glass of wine in a cafe.

One of the amazing things about living in this region, is that 2 such polar opposites can find so many perfect days doing such different things. For those of you who, like me, really enjoy the day more if you can look cute while you're having it, let me suggest a great way to spend an afternoon.

Janna's perfect day #1 - Biltmore village.

Start around 1pm. after the lunch rush. Park near Fig. In that same building, there is a fabulous boutique/salon called Wink. It has really beautiful, and surprisingly affordable clothes. If you're looking for a great party dress, this is a good place to start. It's a big, cool space with lots of windows. They also have really good accessories, and a wonderful salon.

Next, check out the apothecary in the same building.

Cross the street to Blue Goldsmiths. The two ladies who run this place (Lynn and Susan) are extremely nice, and custom-make a lot of their jewelry (including my wedding ring). They will spend a long time talking to you about your lifestyle and likes/dislikes to make the perfect piece for you. When they made my ring, Lynn got out a tray of jewels and put them on my hands. She then covered them up so that I could only see one at a time, and said, "How would you feel if you looked down at your hand and saw this stone for the rest of your life?" We did this until we found the perfect stone for me. It was an amazing experience - it really doesn't get any better than having your hands literally covered in loose jewels. But don't worry if you aren't shopping to buy. Looking is free, and they are very welcoming.

Wander back across the street to Sprig, an eclectic garden store. Even if you aren't a gardener, you'll feel like taking it up once you set foot in here. They also sell really clever cards by Anne Taintor. She takes photographs from the 50s and puts hilarious words on them in ransom-note collage fashion. You'll want to buy one for all of your girlfriends. I'm lookng at one I bought for myself right now. It has a picture of a really glamorous woman with large diamonds and says "frugal is such an ugly word."

Finish the day at Enoteca, the coffeeshop/winebar at Rezaz. They're open all afternoon and have biuld-your-own antipasti platters. I recommend the mimosas, and some of the pastries made by Derek, the pastry chef. He's talented, went to my culinary school, and was on the hot food team (very big deal!!) The desserts are displayed in a lovely glass case, which I always think is a good idea. We got an olive-oil poundcake when I was last there.

So there is installment #1 in wwjd? Please note, all of this can be done in heels, which we all know makes it infinitely more enjoyable.

2 Comments:

Blogger sw said...

Jewels? Heels? Wine? Blech.

Give me mud, boots and frozen pizza.

Love you!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Libba said...

I love that I just stumbled across this post! So much has changed since this but you are certainly still a heels and wine girl - cheers!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home