Friday, October 27, 2006

Phase 3

As I was just saying to my friend K., I'm really glad I decided to start a blog right now, when I have so much free time. My husband keeps telling me that no one will read my blog if I never post anything, but school is kiling me right now.

Being a culinary student is hard, at least at my school. I hear tales of people who go to CIA and breeze through, but no one, and I mean no one, breezes trough my culinary program. I spent 4 years getting an English degree at Sewanee, which is supposed to be extremely difficult, and let me tell you, it was a cakewalk compared to culinary school.

One of the things I've been working on at school is a big project for my menu design class. This project takes place over the course of the semester, with different phases due at different times. We basically create an imaginary restaurant, throw an imaginary party, and write a six course menu (plus b&b) that fits our theme, the event, and the season we have picked. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's a killer. All second-year students are currently walking around mumbling to themselves, with glazed-over eyes, stopping only to accost other second-years and utter our frenetic greeting, "Are you done with Phase 3 yet?" I know for me, personally, there have been many late-night phone calls about Phase 3, some completely nonsensical emails that almost reduced a fellow student to tears, and a total inability to utter anything other than the standard greeting (see above) to anyone I meet, including students who are not in this class, and complete starngers at the grocery store.

But in answer to the only question I can currently imagine - yes!! Yes, I am done with phase 3! Yes, I have created standardized recipes for the required 5 courses! Yes, I did include a recipe for stock in my packet! Yes, I do realize how foolish I was to include 3 separate items in my appetizer alone, nearly doubling my workload! And yes, I do regret the inclusion of such brilliant ideas as "vanilla smoke" stolen shamelessly from Homaro Cantu, and for which it is nearly impossible to write a . . . STANDARDIZED RECIPE.

And since I can think about nothing else, I'll share my menu (the season is spring):

Morel trio: shot of soup, braised morel with shallot cream, morel-truffle ravioli, morel reduction

Gingered carrot soup, beet coulis, cashew brittle

Rhubarb soda

Geen tea-smoked duck, melted leeks, lotus chips, strawberry emulsion

Lemongrass-nasturtium gelee, baby spinach, pistachio cracker, champagne vinaigrette

Chocolate fondue, cinnamon marshmallows, honey crisps, vanilla smoke

Sesame twists with plum butter

2 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

welcome to blogasheville!

uptown ruler

6:50 AM  
Blogger ash said...

you're making me hungry.

welcome!

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home