Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Dinner with President Bailey

Here are some photos of a meal a made at school this Thursday. There were 6 courses in all, and I cooked for one table of five people. I'm only posting 4 of the pictures here. The first is a layered scallop and truffle appetizer, encased in puff pastry, with pea shoots. Next is the sorbet - it was lemon verbena, and I made a blood orange gelee and glaze to go with it. I had to use a frozen puree because we didn't have enough blood oranges, so the color isn't as vibrant as I would have like. But it tasted good.



This is the entree - Chicken grapefruit scallopini with pink peppercorn sauce, and I just made a classic Market Place potato cake (from my old station there) and a warm arugula and jicama salad to accompany it.


Finally we have mint ice cream with a chocolate curl - those were fun to make, and I just dipped a mint leaf in chocolate as a little garnish. For my first classical dinner lab, I think it went pretty well. I had a good time and didn't freak out (even though I was cooking for the president of our school!). Next time, I'll try to be a little more creative on my plate presentations.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just took a much-needed break from writing to have a peek at your blog. What an inventive menu! I would love to try the tuna dish. Salty proscuitto and bitter mustard greens sound like a great idea, balanced with something sweet. Your time in China must have inspired you there.
Hope all's well with you!
Would love to catch up soon--
Anna

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home